Free online books for kids

8 Apr

Since I have been working with my son on writing, and it is impossible to separate reading with writing.  I have found some great resources of free reading materials for kids.

The first one is Free Kids Books.  It offers children’s books for purchase.  Some books are free, but all books are available for free in PDF format.  You can print out the PDF and put them in binders.  The benefit of that is you can have your child draw or write on these pages, and it become the child’s creation too.

Read to Me is a website where kids can listen to books read by the authors.  A nice feature is for some books they have lesson plans that provide talking point and activity ideas.  It is a great help for parents.

Storyline Online is another site offers free books.  It is run by Screen Actors Guild Foundation, all books are read aloud by some very famous actors and actresses.  In addition to books, they also offer book related activities, which is always a welcoming feature for the busy parents who have no time to come up fun activity ideas for the kids.

Update: Now I find some more resources, and some are from comments.

Wegivebooks: is another great site for free children’s books.  Seems they have a very large selections.

Memetales: not completely free, but when you sign up, you get 15 books for free, and each week you get a new free book.  You can read it online, or on your iPhone/iPAD, or Android tablets, including Kindle.

Gutenberg project: it is a site with more than 30,000 free eBooks, either via Kindle or iBook.  Although they are not all for kids, but there are a lot kids books, including picture books.

Do you use any online resources for reading?  Would mind sharing with everyone?

About these ads

66 Responses to “Free online books for kids”

1. Online Form builder August 1, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Horizontal Siding and Vertical Sliding refers to the outer layer of a wall, with shingles or boards or gaps subtly
    angled to shed water. He knew the system well enough to not pay many
    of his suppliers and sub-contractors, then would cover it up up by handing out fake lien releases to make it look like they were paid.
    You can make corrections directly instead of having to search mistake through
    the code, if something does not seem OK for you.

2. michelle August 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

we enjoy we give books and meme tales. We also listen to barefoot books podcasts. From time to time I let my 6 year old read on my kindle, but that’s simply because I’ve managed to get some good deals on books (like the complete 14 book Wizard of Oz series for 95¢)

3. Shelley Spence August 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm #

I love this post! What a great resource for free books. I’ll be checking out these websites for my children. Thankyou! :)

4. John September 30, 2013 at 5:54 am #

obviously like your web-site however you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of
    your posts. A number of them are rife witfh spelling problems and
    I to find it very troublesome to inform the realijty then again I will surely come again again.

5. The Wertis October 12, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Free audiobooks for children and adults: http://www.librophile.com/

6. Chasing23 December 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Wow your content is great. I mean you’ve developed a wonderful blog site. Very inspiring very motivating! I’ll be sure to share this.

-iamchasing23

7. MyKoruLifestyle February 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

Thanks so much for visiting my blog MyKoruLifestyle. It has given me a chance to explore yours as well. I have just forwarded this post on free online books for kids to my two sons for their children. I have three grandchildren (ages 7, 6, 4.5) and I know they would love, not only reading the books, but having them read as well. Thanks for this wonderful post!

8. psychologistmimi February 17, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

great resources

9. AJ Katib March 7, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Reblogged this on In Plain Site.

10. chengboiser May 7, 2014 at 2:26 am #

Great list, I don’t have a kid of my own yet but I’d love to read with her/him using all this resources. Awesome blog!

11. leestormy May 7, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Heres one or two more to add to free reading resource. Check with your local library and see if they have digital collection. These are usually in partnership with OverDrive Media or 3M.. Here in Suffolk County NY our digital gateway is Live-Brary. You can download OverDrive app for phone or PC and it asks for your library. As long as you have a valid library card you can access audio and digital books. The kids selection is pretty good..

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. FREE Online Books for Children | Simple Planner - April 10, 2013

[...] Free Online Books @ game4learning.com [...]

2. Free Online Books for Kids – from IGameMom | A Wrinkle in the Pages - May 15, 2013

[…] resources, Blogger IGameMom has a wonderful blog called Game4Learning.  She recently posted an article about helping her son to read, with a few links to free online books.  It’s great that […]